Monday, September 23, 2013
By Tricia Stevens
We have the how-to for the 2013 Emmy hair and makeup straight from the celebrity hairstylists and makeup artists for it-girl Kerry Washington, Emmy winner Claire Danes, Rose Byrne and more.
Claire Danes, who won the Emmy last night for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series for Homeland, went with a faux bob that was styled by celebrity hairstylist Peter Butler.
1. He first applied a few pumps of the Frizz-Ease Thermal Protection Formula Hair Serum through wet hair and then added Frizz-Ease Curl Reviver Styling Mousse before blow-drying to give hair more texture for better workability and hold.
2. He then created a low side part and used a large-barreled curling iron to curl the hair inward, which also helped to smooth out her hair’s texture.
3. Butler created two small pin curls at the nape of the neck and combed the top of her hair down and under, pinning as needed into the base.
4. He then tucked the hair on the left side of her head behind her ear and spritzed Frizz-Ease Moisture Barrier Firm Hold Hairspray for hold.
5. Lastly, he applied a sheer coat of John Frieda Frizz-Ease 100% Shine.
Riawna Capri of Nine Zero One Salon gave Julianne Hough an edgy hairstyle that went against her shimmery Jenny Packham dress.
1. She prepped hair with Unite Blonda Shampoo and Conditioner to tone and make her blonde strands pop on the red-carpet.
2. Then, she sprayed Unite 7Seconds Conditioner from roots to ends and combed through.
3. She also spritzed a ton of Unite Beach Day spray from roots to ends for overall texture.
4. While blow drying, hair was simultaneously scrunched throughout until it was completely dry – no brush required.
5. Once dry, the top layer was curled in alternating “S-shape” patterns using the Unite Flat Iron.
6. Capri then lightly sprinkled the Unite Expanda Dust to the bottom portion of the hair including the nape.
7. Hair was then teased creating the perfect amount of volume and texture to lift the base structure.
8. Using a teasing brush, she smoothed out the top layer of hair approximately 4 inches from the roots, spraying with Unite Max Control Hairspray.
9. She then teased out the bottom section until her hair was in the desired triangle structure shape.
10. She set the look with Unite Session-Max Hairspray and then added shine with Unite Shina Mist Spray.
Celebrity makeup artist Coleen Campbell-Olwell played up Kate Mara‘s high cheekbones and eyes using Orlane products.
1. First, she prepped skin with Orlane Elixir Royal.
2. She then applied the Super-Moisturizing Light Cream to give her makeup something to hold on to.
3. Moving onto the eyes, she primed eyes with Crème Royale Yeux.
4. Campbell-Olwell used a gold along her lids and then a bronze along the outside to create a more cat eye shape.
5. She then lined the inside of her eyes with a bronze eye pencil.
6. Next, she used the Orlane Volume Care Mascara to make lashes long and voluminous.
7. She also used the Highlight Care Brush to highlight the inner corners of her eyes to draw the audiences’ eyes to hers.
8. Then she defined her brows with Dior Brow Styler in Universal Brown.
9. She went in again with the Highlight Care Brush and applied it straight from the applicator onto her cheekbones. She also applied it on her cupid’s bow with her finger in a tapping motion to give lips a poutier look.
10. Campbell-Olwell used a big fluffy brush to apply the Orlane Bronzer right underneath the cheekbones, tapping it on and then blending it out.
11. She then brushed the bronzer along the hairline to complete the overall warmth look.
12. To keep her t-zone from getting too shiny throughout the night, she applied a light dusting of the Transparent Loose Powder.
Celebrity makeup artist Carola Gonzalez complemented Kerry Washington‘s beautiful Marchesa gown with and ethereal look using Hourglass products.
1. First, she used prepped the skin with Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer.
2. She then used Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation in warm beige, which gave her skin an airbrushed finish.
3. Then she concealed imperfections with Clé de Peau Beauté Concealer in honey.
4. Gonzalez defined brows with Hourglass Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil in Dark Brunette.
5. She applied the mauve shimmer shade from Hourglass Visionaire Eye Shadow Duo in Exhibition to the inner corner of the eyes and the lids, and the eggplant shimmer shade to the outer edge of the eye and beneath the bottom lash line. She then blended the two shades together.
6. Then she applied Ardell Natural Lashes in 110.
7. She lined the eyes with Hourglass Script Precision Liner in Jett.
8. She finished the eyes with three coats of Hourglass Film Noir Full Spectrum Mascara.
9. Gonzalez applied Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Radiant Light on the cheekbones, forehead, nose and chin. 10. She swept Lancôme Blush Subtil in Sparkling Rose to the apples of the cheeks and swept towards the temples.
11. She prepped lips earlier with Hourglass No. 28 Lip Treatment Oil for superior hydration.
12. Finally, she used the Hourglass Extreme Sheen Lip Gloss in Truth, a beige rose.
Celebrity hairstylist Marcus Francis gave Washington bouncy shiny waves using Leonor Greyl products.
1. First, he left the Leonor Greyl Masque Quintessence on for 15 minutes to help promote shine as a part of the foundation.
2. Then he cleansed the scalp and hair with Shampooing Reviviscence.
3. On towel-dried hair, he sprayed Leonor Greyl Condition Naturelle from roots to ends to protect hair from heat while also creating volume.
4. He combed through to help distribute the product and then applied a large amount of Mousse au Lotus Volumatrice to the ends for added bounce and lasting texture.
5. Francis blow-dried hair with a medium size round brush working around an off center part.
6. He set a large velcro roller at the crown to give that natural lift and height.
7. Taking 2 inch sections of hair, he lightly sprayed Leonor Greyl Voluforme on each piece before wrapping it around 1 1/4″ curling iron from roots to ends.
8. He pinned each section vertically throughout to promote lasting volume at the ends.
9. Then, he wrapped the hair away from the face on each side, and alternated directions in the back.
10. For the face framing layers, he took the curling iron and wrapped around once to create a bend at the eyes and let set without pinning.
11. After 10 minutes, he unpinned all the sections and brushed out her hair with a paddle brush to soften the curls into more of a natural wave shape.
12. He undid the velcro roller at the top and gently teased for a little extra height.
13. Then, he used a quarter size of Leonor Greyl Éclat Naturel styling cream to seal the ends and smooth out any unwanted frizz.
14. Next, he tucked her hair behind her ear and used a bobby pin to keep it in place.
15. He finished off with a spritz of Spray Structure Naturelle for an all night touchable hold.
Celebrity makeup artist Lina Hanson gave Morena Baccarin a classic and elegant look using Bellapierre Cosmetics.
1. Using a big fluffy Bellapierre powder brush, she dusted an even layer of Bellapierre Mineral Compact Foundation in Nutmeg on her face.
2. She then dusted on Bellapierre Compact Bronzing Powder in Pure Element paying attention to her forehead, chin and nose for a natural, sun-kissed look.
3. For the eyes, she used color tones from the Bellapierre Shimmer 9Stack in Pandera.
4. First, she applied Nude on the entire eyelid and brushed it up to the brow bone.
5. She then used taupe-grey Sensation on the crease and blended it in.
6. Finally, she applied taupe-bronze Cocoa on top of the crease.
7. She created a winged cat eye with the Bellapierre Eyeliner Duo in Black.
8. Hanson then curled her eyelashes and applied several coats of Bellapierre Mascara in Black.
9. Next, she added a strip of eyelashes, then applied another coat of mascara.
10. She used the Bellapierre Eyebrow Pencil in Dark Chocolate to fill in and create a defined eyebrow.
11. For a natural, healthy glow, she dusted some Bellapierre Compact Mineral Blush in Amaretto on the apples of her cheeks using a Bellapierre Blush Brush.
12. She mixed Bellapierre Luminous and Ruby Lipsticks to get the perfect red to complement her dress.
13. To create the matte texture, she first applied Bellapierre Mineral Compact Foundation in Nutmeg to her lips, applied lipstick color, and patted down with a tissue.
14. She then reapplied the lipstick, and then patted down with a tissue once more to create a stained, matte effect.
15. She finished the look by sweeping a light touch of Bellapierre Mineral Compact Foundation in Nutmeg on her face.
Inspired by an image of Bianca Jagger from the late 70’s and early 80’s, celebrity hairstylist Harry Josh gave Rose Byrne a modern and polished version of the wild waves.
1. He first applied Frizz-Ease Hair Serum Original Formula to wet hair.
2. Next, he applied Frizz-Ease Curl Reviver Styling Mousse throughout hair to create the texture needed for the waves.
3. Then he blow-dried hair with Pro Tools Pro Dryer 2000, using the wider nozzle to help build volume.
4. Josh wrapped hair in Velcro rollers and allowed hair to set for 30 minutes.
5. He used a curling iron with a ¾ inch barrel, wrapped ¼ inch sections of hair around the iron horizontally and in the same direction, and then pinned each curl with a duckbill clip to set.
6. After unpinning the curls, he flipped them over and misted Frizz-Ease Moisture Barrier Firm Hold Hairspray for long-lasting hold.