Wednesday, May 04, 2016
By Julie Wiegan
Celebrity Hairstylist Chris Appleton used Oscar Blandi products to give Katy Perry a modern day beehive. He said, “The beehive is an iconic hairdo that we modernized and turned up a few notches to keep with the Manus x Machina theme. A romantic hairstyle wouldn’t work. The beehive needed to look sharp and futuristic. I wanted her hair to look strong and striking yet still simple. Katy’s dress is incredible and we wanted the hair to compliment and tie in with the overall look without competing with it.”
1. While hair was still damp, he applied Oscar Blandi Hair Lift Mousse throughout the hair.
2. He then sprayed Oscar Blandi Jasmine Protein Mist from mid-shaft through the ends and combed through the hair.
3. Appleton then blow-dried hair upside down to allow hair to dry in the correct direction and to get rid of any bumps or lumps.
4. Then he sprayed the hairbrush with Oscar Blandi Lacca Medium Hold Hair Spray for hold and shine and brushed hair into a high ponytail.
5. He secured the ponytail with an elastic.
6. He separated the hair into two sections pinning the top aside for later.
7. He teased the bottom section to create volume, sprinkling in Oscar Blandi Dry Teasing Dust as he went along.
8. He used a foam donut around the base of the pony, pulling through the teased section, to create more volume and help with the structure of the look.
9. Now back to the top section, he worked a small amount of Oscar Blandi Sculpting Pomade through the hair to get a glossy, high shine finish, and for creating a structured look.
10. Appleton then added more Lacca Hairspray and used the low setting on the blow dryer to set and seal in the hold and shine.
11. He then took the polished, glossy top section and began to wrap it around the teased hair and donut in a clockwise direction. He pinned into place.
12. He shortened her faux bangs to give it a really sharp, edgy, blunt, editorial feel. They almost looked tucked under the bouffant since the beehive was so high.
13. Appleton set the entire look with a ton of Lacca Hairspray for hold and a light reflecting shine.
Thanks to celebrity hairstylist Laura Polko, socialite Poppy Delevingne attended the gala with a futuristic long, sleek and shiny do.
1. On wet hair, she sprayed in a light leave-in conditioner such as Sun Bum 3in1 Leave-In from roots to ends.
2. She then blowdried hair completely dry and smooth out using a smoothing brush.
3. Polko then created a deep side part.
4. If needed, add length and volume using 100% Remy hair clip in hair extensions.
5. Using a combination of hair spray, oil and pomade, she smoothed out the front and side of hair for extra hold and shine.
6. To accentuate the part of the hair, she added in scunci Hair Shimmer in Gold and Silver directly to the deep part.
7. Finally, she secured the sides of the hair by hiding a color-matching bobby pin on the sides of hair.
Celebrity makeup artist Molly R. Stern said she wanted to complement Lily Collins‘ Valentino gown. “In keeping with the MANUS X MACHINA theme, I wanted Lily to look naturally human with an ethereal robotic edge.”
1. She prepped the skin with a rose mist spray.
2. Then she used a layer of Natura Bissé Oxygen Cream to really quench the skin.
3. She applied Giorgio Armani Maestro Glow Foundation in #2 on the face, neck and arms to create a sheer, celestial finish.
4. Stern applied TRUE Isaac Mizrahi Radiance Boosting Pen to the areas of the face that naturally catch the light, including cheek bones, bridge and tip of her nose, the cupid’s bow of her lip, and her collar bone.
5. She dusted Lancôme Cushion Blush Subtil in 032 Splash Corail to subtly warm the apples of the cheeks.
6. To contour and shape the eye, she used layers of gold and metallic steel tones with Lancôme Color Design Eyeshadow in Accomplice and Lancôme Glow Subtil in 03 Rosegold Lights and 05 Buff Lights.
7. Then she applied one layer of Lancôme Hypnôse Mascara in Black to lashes, followed by a layer of Lancôme Hypnôse Chromatics Mascara Top Coat in Saint-Honore and another layer of black mascara.
8. She applied Lancôme Color Design in Lucky Kiss with Lancôme Glow Subtil 05 Buff Lights pressed in on top of lips.
9. To complete the look, she used Lancôme Drama Liqui-Pencil in French Lace, followed by Lancôme Drama Liqui-Pencil in Lamé to create a machine-esque seam down her face, neck, and chest. “She left looking like a handmade futuristic doll with strong ties to Hollywood’s glamorous past.”
“I love the idea of playing with shine and a metallic texture for this MET Gala and Calvin Klein dress,” Nick Barose said about Lupita Nyong’o. “We kept the makeup monochromatic and played with shine, with metallic on the eyes and bronzed lips against her skin.”
1. To prep her skin, he used Lancôme Advanced Génifique Youth Activating Concentrate, Lancôme Advanced Génifique Eye Light Pearl, and Lancôme Absolue Precious Cells Nourishing Lip Balm. Once the products were absorbed, he blotted the skin to remove any excess product.
2. To help keep the overall look fresh, dewy and polished, he used Lancôme La Base Pro Pore Eraser on the T-zone area, as well as Lancôme Translucence Mattifying Silky Pressed Powder in 550 Suede to control shine.
3. On the rest of the face, he applied Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra Makeup Stick in 550 Suede C, Lancôme Le Corrector Pro Concealer Kit in 550 Deep Suede OS under eyes to brighten, and Lancôme Blush Subtil Palette in Rum Raisin on the apples of her cheeks.
4. To keep her eye makeup smooth and long-lasting, he first applied Lancôme Aquatique Waterproof Eyecolour Base in 06 Sienne.
5. Next, he used Lancôme Color Design 5 Pan Eyeshadow Palette in 602 Gris Fumee on the lids.
6. Barose lined the top lash line using Lancôme Artliner in Noir, and on the lower lash line he used Lancôme Le Stylo Waterpoof Long Lasting Eyeliner in Noir Intense. To add a bit of sparkle, he used Urban Decay Heavy Metal Glitter Eyeliner in GlamRock.
7. He defined and filled in the brows using Lancôme Sourcils Gel Waterproof Eyebrow Gel-Cream in 06 Noir
8. Lastly, he applied two coats of Lancôme Grandiôse Mascara in Noir Mirifique to lashes.
9. He filled in her lips with Lancôme Le Lipstique in Sheer Chocolate, and finished the look with Lancôme L’Absolue Rouge in Henne.
Celebrity Makeup Artist Lauren Andersen gave model Hannah Davis a beautiful and natural look.
1. She first applied Avon Ideal Flawless Foundation on the face
2. Then she gave her more of a glow by applying Avon Glow Bronzing Pearls in Sunkissed.
3. For a soft golden bronzed eye, she used the Avon True Color Eyeshadow Quad in Mocha Latte.
4. Anderson then applied Avon Glimmersticks Waterproof Eye Liner in Brown Chocolate to the rim of the eye.
5. She finished the eyes with AvonBig & Multiplied Volume Mascara in Black.
6. Lastly, she made the lips look soft and natural with Avon Ultra Color Lipstick in Rosedew.
Avon Global Celebrity Makeup Artist Lauren Andersen also worked on Saoirse Ronan and was inspired by the feather accent on her gown.
1. First, she applied Avon Ideal Flawless Foundation on the skin.
2. She then applied Avon Ideal Luminous Blush in Heavenly Pink on the cheeks.
3. For the eyes, Anderson used a very neutral pink eyeshadow on the lid .
4. She then created a feathered wing using Avon Mega Effects Liquid Eyeliner.
5. She finished the eyes by coating the lashes with Avon Big & Multiplied Volume Mascara in Black.
6. Anderson finished off the look with a pale neutral look by applying Avon True Color Perfectly Matte in Pure Pink.