Wednesday, January 30, 2013
By Sara Moore
It’s the Baltimore Ravens vs. the San Francisco 49ers for Super Bowl XLVII. No matter which team you’re rooting for, enjoy these appetizing treats.
Who said alcohol is just for drinking? Chef Lee Anne Wong, winner of Iron Chef America and editor of the Maker’s Mark® Cookbook, shares her recipes for chicken wings and onion dip using Maker’s Mark bourbon.
Bourbon Apple Glazed Chicken Wings
2 lbs chicken wings, trimmed
1 cup Maker’s Mark® Bourbon
1 can frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed (12 ounces)
½ cup soy sauce
¼ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup dark brown sugar
4 large cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a medium pot.
2. Bring to boil on high heat and then reduce to a simmer for 30-40 minutes until the wings are tender and the glaze has reduced, coating the wings.
3. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
4. Remove the wings from the pot and transfer to a parchment lined sheet tray.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the wings begin to color and the glaze becomes shiny.
6. Garnish with minced scallions and apple. Serve immediately.
Bourbon Onion Dip
4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 large sweet onions/vidalias, peeled, halved, sliced thinly with the grain
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup Maker’s Mark® or Maker’s 46™ Bourbon, plus 1 tablespoon
¾ cup Greek yogurt
½ cup fresh ricotta cheese
½ cup sour cream
Few drops lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Crudite vegetables and chips for dipping
1. In a wide heavy-bottomed pot, heat the olive oil over high heat.
2. Add the sliced onions and the teaspoon of salt.
3. Sauté the onions, stirring often until they begin to soften, 5 to 6 minutes.
4. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to stir and cook the onions until they begin to color, about another 15 minutes.
5. Add 1/2 cup of bourbon to the pan and stir in.
6. Reduce the heat to low and cook the onions for another 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions have colored and caramelized.
7. Remove the onions from the pan and spread on a plate or baking sheet to cool in the fridge.
8. Using a food processor or blender, combine the ricotta and yogurt and process until smooth.
9. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Fold in the sour cream.
10. Once the onions have cooled, rough chop them briefly. Fold into the mixture and season to taste with lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper.
11. Serve the dip cold with crudites and chips.
Now, if you’re watching your waistline and his and want to go healthier without sacrificing taste, check out these recipes using House Foods’ selection of Premium Tofu.
Tofu Mango Black Bean Salsa
1 (10 oz.) package House Tofu Super Firm Grilled, drained and diced
1 large mango, diced
1/3 cup red onion, diced
1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine mango, red onion, black beans, cilantro and jalapeno in a medium bowl.
2. Add Tofu, and squeeze lime juice over the mixture.
3. Mix well, add salt and pepper.
4. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
5. Serve: Chilled
Double-Dipper Tofu Sticks
1 pkg (14 oz)House Premium or Organic Tofu – Extra Firm, drained
2 cups bread crumbs
flour to coat Tofu sticks
vegetable oil for frying
optional: thick pretzels “stix”
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 dill pickle spear, chopped
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1. Wrap Tofu with paper towels and press to remove all excess water from Tofu, making sure Tofu does not break. Cut Tofu into 1/2 inch widths (approx. 2 inch lengths) sticks.
2. Whisk egg in medium bowl. Set aside.
3. Place Tofu on a plate, coat lightly with flour (cover all sides of Tofu with flour). Dip into whisked egg, transfer Tofu sticks into the bread crumbs.(coat all sides)
4. Heat oil (about 1 inch) in a large frying pan. Add Tofu and cook until color becomes golden brown. Remove Tofu and transfer to another place using layered paper towels.
5. Sauces: Add ingredients of Sauce #1 to one small bowl and add Sauce #2 ingredients in a separate small bowl and mix each well.
Optional: Use thick pretzels as “popsicle” sticks inserted into each Tofu Double Dipper.
Serve Tofu sticks immediately with the sauces.