Tuesday, July 01, 2014
By Julie Wiegan
Check out these healthy 4th of July tofu recipes that will please all your guests. These two recipes below use House Foods Tofu, a Non-GMO and kosher certified protein with only 7 grams of fat, making you popular with the crowd.
Crispy Tofu Parmesan Sliders
(Created by House Foods America / Makes 4 servings of 2 sliders each)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons basil pesto
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 package House Foods Tofu Organic or Premium Extra Firm, drained
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
2 tablespoons canola oil
8 small slices mozzarella cheese
8 slider buns or small dinner rolls, split, toasted
16 fresh basil leaves or 8 small lettuce leaves
8 slices plum tomato
1. Stir the mayonnaise, pesto and cumin in a small bowl.
2. Refrigerate until ready to use.
1. Quarter block tofu into 4 equal pieces.
2. Slice each quarter horizontally into 2 thin pieces.
3. In shallow bowl, beat eggs with mustard.
4. In another shallow dish, place bread crumbs and cheese. Mix well.
5. In a third bowl, combine flour, herb seasoning and seasoned salt.
6. Dip tofu in flour mixture, then egg mixture, then coat with bread crumb mixture.
7. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and add tofu to skillet cooking 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden brown.
8. Top with cheese slices after turning tofu.
9. Spread sides of buns with pesto mayo and place tofu slices topping with basil and tomato slices.
Tofu Tomato and Herb Skewers
(Created by House Foods America / Makes 20 skewers)
2 pkgs House Foods Tofu Premium or Organic Extra Firm, drained and pressed
40 cherry tomatoes
20 bamboo skewers
1 clove garlic
1 large shallot
1 bundle Italian parsley
1 bundle cilantro
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2/3 Tbsp Kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp red pepper flakes
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Add garlic and shallot to the bowl of a food processor and pulse a couple times.
2. Add parsley and cilantro and pulse a few more times.
3. Combine with vinegar, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and oil in bowl. Mix well.
4. Cut tofu in cubes to match the size of tomatoes.
5. Place tofu cubes and tomato alternately on skewers.
6. Brush with sauce and grill 3-4 minutes on each side. Brush a couple more times until grill mark is shown. Brush tofu one final time before serving.