Wednesday, February 08, 2017
By Julie Wiegan
What better gift to give someone than the gift of health. That’s why we turned to natural foods chef and best-selling author Liana Werner-Gray to help come up with a special Valentine’s Day menu. Not only are these recipes delicious and nutritious, but they only take 10 minutes to make. You can find these recipes and more in her latest book 10 Minute Recipes.
Superfood Kale Salad
So easy and so quick! Hail kale!
Total time: 10 minutes
1 bunch kale, center ribs and stems removed (reserve these for juicing or eating later)
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1½ tablespoons flaxseed oil
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ cup nutritional yeast
5 tablespoons sunflower seeds
1. Tear the kale leaves into small pieces and place in a large bowl.
2. Massage the avocado into the pieces of kale with your fingers. Do this so the avocado covers the kale.
3. Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and stir. You can also continue to massage the mixture with your finger until everything is well combined.
*If you or your date prefer a cheesier flavor, increase the amount of nutritional yeast.
*Or if you want more protein, add pumpkin seeds.
Garlic Kale Salad: Add 2 teaspoons garlic powder or minced garlic.
Kale Wraps: Wrap salad in a brown rice wrapper for portability.
Calories: 426 | Total Fat: 24g | Carbohydrate: 35g | Dietary Fiber: 17g | Protein: 29g
Cucumber Lime Cocktail
Forget the alcohol, trust us, you won’t even miss it with this oh so delicious non-alcoholic drink!
Total time: 10 minutes
2 cups fresh pineapple
4 celery stalks
2 cucumbers, peeled
1 lime, peeled
2 tablespoons coconut sugar, for the rim
Slices of lime, for garnish
1. Put coconut sugar on a plate.
2. Slice a lime and wipe it around the rim of the glasses.
3. Dip the rims of the glasses into the coconut sugar so they are coated. Set aside.
4. Juice the pineapple, celery, cucumber, and lime in a juicer.
5. Pour juice into the cocktail glasses.
6. Garnish the rims with lime slices. Serve over ice.
For a party-sized pitcher of Cucumber Lime Cocktail, double the recipe.
Calories: 139.6 | Total Fat: 1.2g | Carbohydrate: 33g | Dietary Fiber: 6.8g | Protein: 3.5g
Yes, you can have chocolate! And yes, it’s addictive. But that’s okay, because this recipe is also good for you.
Total time: 5 minutes
2 tablespoons cacao powder, or more to taste
2 tablespoons raw honey or maple syrup, or more to taste
1. Blend all ingredients in a food processor until smooth and creamy. If you don’t have a food processor, you can just as easily mash the avocado with a fork in a bowl, and then add the cacao powder and honey (or maple syrup) to it.
2. Taste. Add more cacao if you want it more chocolatey. Add more honey if you want it sweeter.
1. Serve this mousse with fresh raspberries or strawberries.
2. Add ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract for enhanced flavor.
3. Served this mousse on top of ice cream or cupcakes.
Calories: 379 | Total Fat: 22g Carbohydrate: 52g | Dietary Fiber: 13g Protein: 5g